Thursday, August 26, 2021

Gallium is a remedy for my old Chromebook Lenovo x131e

I have Lenovo x131e for me, but I can not setup Chromebrew even with old version. Chrome Os is a pleasure but I need to update. So that, I spend time to disassemble my device and disable write protection with switch. The only way to change firmware on Lenovo x131e is instruction:

sudo mount -o remount,rw -io exec /home/chronos/user/ 
sudo ./flashrom -r x131e_chromeos_original.rom
flashrom v0.9.4  : bc6cab1 : Oct 30 2014 07:32:01 UTC on Linux 3.8.11 (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.8.x-google 20140307 (prerelease), little endian
The Flash Descriptor Security Override Strap-Pin is set. Restrictions implied
by the FRAP and FREG registers are NOT in effect. Please note that Protected
Range (PR) restrictions still apply.
Reading flash... SUCCESS

./flashrom -w coreboot-stout-seabios-270514.rom


There is storage of firmware rooms: https://johnlewis.ie/Chromebook-ROMs/stout/
https://github.com/MrChromebox/scripts/blob/master/cbmodels.json

flashrom v0.9.4  : bc6cab1 : Oct 30 2014 07:32:01 UTC on Linux 3.8.11 (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.8.x-google 20140307 (prerelease), little endian
The Flash Descriptor Security Override Strap-Pin is set. Restrictions implied
by the FRAP and FREG registers are NOT in effect. Please note that Protected
Range (PR) restrictions still apply.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Verifying flash... VERIFIED.          
SUCCESS

That's all, you can prepare Galium USB stick and boot. But pay attention, F12 does not present and you need to remove SSD from device for first test run. Initial date is in distant future, so change it back to present to connect to Wi-Fi



This update dive me a chanse to run github.dev editor for my public repositories. I wish I can edit my code even from my old chromebook with Gallium and Chromium in the future. But for now it has error



Refeence:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Chrome_OS_devices/Custom_firmware

Chromebrew installation halts on Acer C7 due to Python3 installation error · Issue #4056 · skycocker/chromebrew (github.com)

Write Protected BIOS on x131e : chromeos (reddit.com)

write-protection switch on lenovo x131E-English Community

lenovo x130e / thinkpad x130e disassembly remove motherboard/ram/hard drive etc.. - YouTube





No comments:

debug magazine archive

  71 jounals still available on issuu with great story of netlabels time.  debug_mag Publisher Publications - Issuu